Special Educational Needs and Disability

At Hillborough Junior School, we are dedicated to inclusion and providing a meaningful education that supports and challenges all pupils. If you have any queries or comments please contact Mrs P Whelan (our SENCO and Inclusion Manager) who will be able to help you.

What are special Educational Needs?

A child is said to have Special Educational Needs when special plans are needed in order to develop their learning and/or relationships with others. These plans may be needed to:

  • Support the child's learning
  • Meet the child's physical needs in school
  • Help the child's relationships with other children and adults.

The types of needs are organised under four headings of which a child may be categorised as having needs in one or more of these areas:

  • Communication and Interaction
  • Cognition and Learning
  • Social, mental and emotional health difficulties
  • Sensory and physical needs

At Hillborough Junior School, teachers assess children all the time to find out individual strengths, interests and particular needs. We have three stages of identification and assessment, in accordance with the Code of Practice 2014.

At this stage, if it is felt that a child is not making as much progress as expected, differentiated work will be given to help and support a child's learning within the classroom. They will be observed to ensure that support is appropriate and to see if anything additional is needed.

2. SEN Support
If it is felt that more support is needed to help a child progress, the class teacher, together with the SENCO, develops an Individual Education Plan (IEP), which sets out clear and manageable targets and strategies that are individual to your child. These are in addition to the normal help and support given to all children.

If we feel that a child is still not making sufficient progress, support and advice is sought from one or more of these outside agencies:

  • Learning Support Service
  • Education Psychology Service
  • Behaviour Service
  • Health and welfare Services

3. Provision requiring an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)
In a very few cases, where Special Educational Needs are more severe, the Local Authority will be asked to make a formal assessment on the needs of the child. This is carried out with full parental permission and may result in additional support from the school and Local Authority.

Parental Involvement

  • Parents will be informed of their child's progress at all stages
  • There will be regular opportunities for parents to discuss their child's progress with the class teacher or SENCO
  • A copy of the IEP will be sent to parents after each review so that they can help and support their child in achieving the targets
  • Parents are asked to share any information that may affect their child's learning with the Class Teacher and SENCO

If you would like more information, please look at the Special Educational Needs and Disability guide for Parents and Carers.

Loading ...

Useful Links

local offer luton
Luton's Local Offer
The Local Offer is an access point for parents/carers of children and young people aged 0-25 years with special educational needs. It gives information about education, health and social care services available in the Luton area.
luton parent carer
Luton Parent Carer Forum
The Luton Parent Carer Forum Community Interest Company (CIC) is an organisation which helps facilitate the voice of local parents/carers of children and young people aged 0-25 years, with special educational needs and/or disabilities. They are mainly funded by Department for Education, and supported by Contact a Family. 
Luton Borough Council logo
Luton Student Voice Forum
Luton Council have set up a forum for students with additional needs. They want to hear from you if you are interested in helping schools, colleges and council services work better for young people with additional needs.
student voice
Luton Student Voice Twitter
Luton Council have set up a twitter for students with additional needs. 
Luton Borough Council logo

Luton SENDIAS Service
The Luton SENDIAS service provides information and support to parents / carers of children with SEN or disabilities and children and young people with SEN or disabilities.