Hillborough Junior School is working in partnership with the Shire Foundation, as the NCTL accredited Teacher Training provider, and with a cluster of primary schools to offer school-based teacher training. The School Direct (salaried) training route will be offered for 2017/18, through the Hillborough Junior School/Shire Foundation Alliance schools, with an allocation of 28 places.
The School Direct (Salaried) route:
This is an employment based route into teaching intended for high quality graduates with three or more years career experience. School Direct (salaried) trainees earn a salary while they train in their employing school.
The majority of training takes place in the employing and second placement schools, including substantial teaching experience. There is also a centre-based training element consisiting of 23 days of training based at the Shire Foundation located in Hillborough Junior School, Luton. For this reason HJS/Shire Alliance can only work with trainees/schools located within a 30 mile radius of the training centre.
- Honours Degree: 2:1 or above, preferably in a primary curriculum subject area or education-based. Applicants with an Honours degree classification of 2:2 will be considered for interview provided they have recent significant school experience and a strong reference from the school.
- 3 or more years' career experience prior to application. Hillborough Junior School/Shire will expect that at least 6 months of this experience will have been within a UK primary school setting.
- GCSE English language, mathematics and science grade C or above (or equivalent). Hillborough Junior School/Shire Alliance will consider applicants who have one of these qualifications pending, but they must all be in place by the date of enrolment of the programme. Recognised equivalency tests are accepted.
- Overseas equivalents are accepted. NARIC [The National Recognition Information Centre for the United Kingdom]
- Literacy and numeracy professional skills tests must be passed within 6 weeks of the date of interview.
Debarring Barring Service (DBS)/Medical Checks:
Hillborough Junior School/Shire Foundation Alliance schools are committed to safeguarding the welfare of children and expects all trainees to share this commitment. All those applicants offered a School Direct training place will be required to undertake a Debarring Service Check and medical check prior to the start of the course.
For more information visit The Shire Foundation.